Once a faculty member becomes certified in Writing Across the Curriculum, that faculty
member may, with the agreement of her Chair, offer any of her courses on a writing
In addition to offering writing intensive sections for their department, faculty have
cited many other reasons for wanting to become certified in WAC. Here are some of
- To enjoy a course cap of 25 students for each writing intensive section offered, enabling
a more individualized approach to teaching. I am able to get to know my students
better, many note.
- To receive payment equivalent to 3 hours of release time upon successful completion
of the certification process.
- To earn a letter of appreciation from the Provost for their Tenure and Promotion file
and credit for a contribution to the college.
- To have the time to think about their teaching and how to better align their practices
with their values and goals.
- To interact with faculty from other disciplines in talking about teaching and learning
at KCC and to make new friends.