Important Notice about Using Financial Aid to Purchase Books!
Students who receive a Federal Pell Grant may be able to receive an advance of their financial aid to purchase books and supplies. To be eligible the student needs to have financial aid funds remaining after their tuition and fees have been paid. These students will receive a "book advance." This advance will be paid directly to the student.
- All registered students who have their Pell award finalized and posted to their CUNYfirst account, and still have financial aid funds available after their tuition and fees have been paid will be eligible.
- Students who withdraw from some or all classes and/or do not attend classes will be
responsible to repay some or all of the book advance funds.
Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you think this applies to you.
Disbursement of the Book Advance :
"Book advance" payments will be disbursed using one of the following methods:
- Direct Deposit into checking/savings account
- Paper checks mailed to home address on record
Students, who have not already signed up for the Direct Deposit, will receive the "book advance" in the form of a paper check. Students can sign up for Direct Deposit for future financial aid refunds.
Example of Financial Aid Book Advance :
- Student is eligible for $2500 in Financial Aid and has a tuition of $1800:
Student has an excess aid of $700. Student will receive a "financial aid book advance" for $624.
- Student is eligible for $2300 in Financial Aid and has a tuition of $1800:
Student has an excess aid of $500. Student will receive a "financial aid book advance" for $500.
All students who have not yet applied for financial aid and/or have not yet submitted requested documentation must allow up to 6 weeks for processing. Students are therefore urged to submit all required information in a timely fashion to reduce the delay in receiving a book advance.