Questions about My Turn:
- What educational background or degrees are required for "My Turn"? For our qualified "My Turn" applicants, the college requested, and was granted, permission
to waive The City University of New York college admission requirement for a High
School or General Equivalency Diploma.
- Who attends the "My Turn" Program? Interested, qualified (by age and residence) individuals who wish to participate
in this program. They can be employed, unemployed, never employed, or retired. They
can be professionals, have advanced degrees, college degrees or never attended high
- How many credits must be taken?
Each semester "My Turn" students are permitted to take as few or as many credits
as they wish.
- When can I enroll? There are four times each year when students can enroll at the college to start classes:
Fall Semester, Winter Module, Spring Semester, and Summer Module.
- Are "My Turn" students treated differently or separated from other students or activities? Absolutely NOT! Aside from being given a special time for registration, "My Turn"
students are never separated from the general student body. Courses and classes, study
and homework, assignments and tests, participation in all activities, social and cultural
events, the use of all facilities (gym, library, beach, bookstore, cafeteria, learning
center, etc.) are the same for all registered KCC students. When required work is
satisfactorily completed college credit is given.
- Is any special assistance given to "My Turn" students?
CERTAINLY. Because most "My Turn" students have been away from school for some time,
the program includes individual counseling before and during registration. Academic
counseling is available throughout the semester. As needed, such services as tutoring
and accommodations for learning problems, guidance and transfer to senior colleges
on graduation are available. Other services include: an active "My Turn" club; lectures
and forums concerning specific interests of older adults (nutrition, health, volunteering,
government regulations, etc.); health fairs, social gatherings, outings, workshops,
and opportunity to be personally involved are part of "My Turn."
- Do many "My Turn" students attend KCC?
Yes, in each academic year more than 200 "My Turn" students are in attendance. Because
of the program's vitality and blending of interests, "My Turn" students are comfortable
in the KCC atmosphere.
- How much does the "My Turn" program cost?
As part of The City University of New York, Kingsborough permits qualified students
into the "My Turn" program, tuition-FREE. Only the $80 registration fee must be paid
each semester. Some courses may require students to buy supplies or textbooks. They
are available from the college bookstore.