MENTAL HEALTH and HUMAN SERVICES PROGRAM
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
- Which MH courses are Writing Intensive courses?
- Professor Billies MH31 Principles of Interviewing and Group Leadership
- Professor Hallmark MH35 Gerontology
- Professor Olvina MH30 Human Services
- How do I make an appointment to see a professor?
Contact each professor individually on the Contact Us page. You can also use Firstname.Lastname@kbcc.cuny.edu.
- What kinds of clubs are there for us?
Click on the link for the Mental Health Club.
- When should I sign up for an internship?
The semester before you want to do your field internship.
- Do I have to use my KBCC email address for signing up for internships?
We often send required documents and information the email address you have in CUNYFirst. Your KBCC address is the default.
- What if I never check my KBCC email?
You may miss emails that could keep you from doing your field internship. You can link your KBCC email to the email address you use. You can also choose a different “preferred email address” in CUNYFirst settings.
Contact Technology Assistance for help at email@example.com or phone, 718-368-6679.
- How do I find out if I've been accepted to an internship?
You will be contacted by the Mental Health office after you sign-up. You can also check with the Mental Health office.
- What courses are generally required for fields?
- You must have a minimum of 30 credits with a passing grade.
- Among those 30 credits (or more), you must have passed 3 MH classes from the following
- MH31 or MH34
- MH30 or MH35
- You cannot have an F, W, FINC or INC among 30 credits or eligible MH classes.
- You must be in good standing with the MH program.
- What if I have scheduling requirements that conflict with internships?
You must be available for the full internship hours. There are a variety of choices in the Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer sessions.
- How many absences are allowed in internships?
Missing any more than 15% of a class results in a WU withdrawal. For your field internship, this means you are allowed up to 2 excused absences (to be determined by the professor). You will fail if you miss any more than 2, including lateness. This is because you must put in the required amount of hours according to New York State.
- Do I have to have two PPDs (Tuberculosis tests)? Is this required?
Some internship require these and other medical documentation, others do not. PPD tests must be at least one week apart and must be done before the internship starts.
- Do I need to get fingerprinted and are there background checks?
Some internships require these, others do not.