MENTAL HEALTH and HUMAN SERVICES PROGRAM
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
- How many absences are allowed in classes?
According to KCC policy, you are allowed to miss up to 6 hours of class per semester
but your grade begins to be affected after missing 3 hours of class.
- How many absences are allowed in internships?
You are allowed up to 2 excused absences (to be determined by the professor) and you
will fail if you miss any more than 2. It does not matter what the reason is.
- Which MH courses are Writing Intensive courses?
Professor Billies MH31 Principles of Interviewing and Group Leadership.
- How do I get Mental Health program forms?
See each page of the Mental Health and Human Services website for the forms you need.
- What kinds of clubs are there for us?
The Mental Health club (hyperlink to Mental Health club page)
- What are the differences between the Mental Health concentrations?
- The General Mental Health Concentration prepares you for all social work, counseling, and human service professions.
- The Domestic Violence Concentration prepares you to work in all mental health settings with a specialization in domestic
- The Substance Abuse Concentration prepares you to work in all mental health settings with a specialization in substance
abuse issues.** NOTE: If you concentrate in Substance Abuse Counseling, both internships
(MH 9801 and MH 9802) must be completed within the Substance Abuse Counseling field.
- Which concentration should I pick?
You can pick any one of the three; they all satisfy the requirements for a Mental
- When should I sign up for an internship?
The semester before you want to do your field internship.
- Why do I have to use my KBCC email address for signing up for internships?
It is the formal way to make sure you receive required documents and information.
- What if I never check my KBCC email?
You may miss emails that could keep you from doing your field internship.
- How do I find out if I've been accepted to an internship?
You will be contacted by the Mental Health office after you sign-up. You can also check with the Mental Health office.
- What courses are generally required for fields?
Two courses are required: MH 11 and either MH30, MH31 or MH34.
- What if I have scheduling requirements that conflict with internships?
You have to be available for the full internship hours. There are a variety of choices
in the Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer sessions.
- Do I have to have two PPDs (Tuberculosis tests)? Is this required?
Yes, for certain internships. They must be at least one week apart and must be done
before the internship starts.