COLLEGE ASSISTANTS TIME & LEAVE
The information below is provided to College Assistants of Kingsborough Community College. Please review this carefully. If you have any questions, contact Leslyn Black at 718-368-6576 or by email at Leslyn.Black@kbcc.cuny.edu .
1) The total number of hours that you may work during a fiscal year (July 1 through
June 30) depends on either or both of the following:
a. An individual allocation of hours authorized by your supervisor for your work assignment.
b. The contractual maximum number of hours permitted by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
2) Time sheets must be completed for every day that you work. Please remember that time sheets are the basis for payment. It is essential that they be completed accurately and that they reflect actual hours worked. At the end of the week, the time sheet should be given to your supervisor for signature. The supervisor should then deliver the time sheets to the Office of Human Resources.
3) In order for salary payment to be made in a timely manner, time sheets should be received by the Office of Human Resources by Monday morning following the work week. If Monday falls on a holiday on which the HR Office is closed, the time sheet must be received by Tuesday morning.
4) Welfare benefits, provided through DC37, Local 2054, which include disability, optical, prescription drug and dental coverage, are available after you have worked a total of 45 hours in a four-week union cycle and IF you have an assignment of at least 11.25 hours per week. Keep in mind that the Health Plan depends on various payroll systems to establish eligibility. In most cases there is a 4 to 6 week reporting lag. Please see your Union Representative or log onto the website http://www.dc37.net/for more details.
5) Major Medical Benefits are available IF you have a regular assignment which is expected to last for at least 6 months and have worked at least 20 hours a week for 12 consecutive weeks. You will be contacted by the Office of Human Resources at the time of your eligibility.
6) The NYCERS Pension System is optional for all College Assistants. Once you join the pension system, you will need to complete 18,270 hours to become vested, which is the equivalent to 10 Full Time years of service. To retire with medical benefits, you must work the equivalent of 10 Full Time years of credited service which is equal to 18,270 hours. If you would like an application or information for NYCERS see Detrice McPhatter in A207, or call 718-368-6525.
7) At the time of your employment you will be given an ID form to be presented to the Bursar Office if you require a parking permit. Currently there is a charge of $110 per year for the parking permit.
8) You are required to obtain a Kingsborough Community College ID card. You must present your ID form to the Security Office, Room L202. An ID card must be presented when you pick up your payroll check. Kingsborough Community College ID cards should be carried at all times and be presented if requested for identification by Security staff. ID cards are issued immediately.
SICK LEAVE ACCRUAL AND USAGE
College Assistants accrue sick leave at the rate of one hour of leave for every 20 hours actually worked, with no maximum accrual.
For the first three fiscal years (July 1 – June 30) of employment in the title, accrued sick leave may be used only after 500 work hours are completed. Sick leave must be used for personal illness only and can only be used for days and/or hours an employee is scheduled to work. Unused Sick Leave accruals may be carried forward to the following fiscal year and used without meeting the 500-hour threshold.
College Assistants who have completed three years of 500 assigned work hours may be permitted to take approved sick leave as it accrues without meeting the 500-hour threshold. They may be permitted to take sick leave and/or three (3) days of sick leave to care for an ill family member. The term “family” shall be defined as set forth in CUNY’s FMLA policy. The College Human Resources Director, in his/her sole discretion, may request medical or other documentation to substantiate the family member’s illness. Unused sick leave accruals may be carried forward to the following fiscal year.
ANNUAL LEAVE ACCRUAL AND USAGE
College Assistants accrue annual leave based on the number of hours worked bi-weekly as follows:
·At the beginning of the employee’s 1st year – accrue 1 hour for every 15 hours worked.
· At the beginning of the employee’s 5th year – accrue 1 hour for every 11 hours worked.
For the first three fiscal years (July 1 – June 30) of employment in the title, annual leave may be accrued but not be used until 500 work hours is reached.
Use of annual leave must be approved in advance and may be used only for days and/or hours an employee is scheduled to work. Unused annual leave may not be carried forward to a new fiscal year. Employees will be paid in full for such accruals, or payment may be spread out in more than one payment in order to maintain benefits eligibility.
ADDITIONAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
For additional rules and regulations regarding College Assistant time and leave, please refer to those provisions pertaining to college assistants in the current White Collar contract. You may find it here: http://www2.cuny.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/page-assets/about/administration/offices/labor-relations/labor-contracts/White-CA_2009-2016_2009-2017_and_2010-2017.pdf