Many obstacles can delay students in achieving their Associate's degree.
In College Discovery students are assigned to a personal counselor who helps them
plan a path to graduation and monitors their progress throughout their time at Kingsborough.
With this counseling model, College Discovery students have proven to be more likely
to stay in school and to graduate.
College Discovery counselors will:
- Advise you regarding a specific academic plan and help you establish academic goals
- Assist with any issues that may negatively affect your academic progress
- Conduct workshops on college survival skills
- Provide referrals for tutoring and other services
- Assist with the post-graduation transfer process, specifically into SEEK, EOP, & HEOP
- Help you prepare for the world of work
Supplemental Instruction (Tutoring)
Adjusting to college classes can be difficult, so we have tutors with extensive professional
experience that speak Cantonese/Mandarin, French-Creole, Russian, Spanish and Turkish
- Help you improve your math skills
- Help you understand and apply what you learn in class
- Help you to plan, organize, and revise writing assignments
- Develop your skills in critical reading, thinking, and writing for the Reading Accuplacer
- Help you manage your study time effectively
- Help develop research strategies using library and computer tools
- Help you with introductory college-level courses in Humanities (Sociology, Philosophy,
Psychology, Education, Math, and Foreign Language)
*Sign up for tutoring at the Supplemental Instruction Office in Room D-210