Physical Education, Recreation and Recreation Therapy/Sport Management
The mission of the program is to prepare students for transfer into a baccalaureate program or occupations in athletics, sport management, or recreation activities. Goals are as follows:
- To provide students with knowledge and practical experience in using national and/or state standards, as well as assessment tools in physical education teaching.
- To provide students with the content knowledge in physical education, recreation and recreation therapy, or sport management.
- To provide students with a foundation in leadership, personal values, and ethical standards as they relate to physical education, recreation and recreation therapy, or sport management.
- To provide students with the technological and communication skills (reading, writing, online, and speaking) necessary in PERRT and sport management.
- To provide students with a rigorous academic program, supervised fieldwork and practical experiences in physical education teaching, recreation and recreation therapy, or sport management.
- To prepare students for careers in physical education, recreation, or sport management.
The program is affiliated with high schools, community centers, health clubs, hospitals, nursing homes, and colleges where students receive on the job training as part of a fieldwork course. Students will complete practical experience at a site of their choice under the mentorship of a qualified professional. These experiences prepare students with the skills and knowledge they need to be able to assume a leadership role and work experience.
The concentration prepares students to teach and lead physical education classes in public and private schools (grades K-12), as well as community centers, health clubs, and camps. Courses consist of methodology of teaching physical education, leadership, organization and administration, fieldwork, sport and American society, health, and sports skills (individual, dual and team sports).
Job Opportunities in this field: Physical Education Teacher, Coach, Sports, Parks & Recreation Administrator, exercise leaders in fitness and community centers.
Recreation & Recreation Therapy
The concentration prepares students towork in hospitals, nursing homes, recreation centers, rehabilitation centers, day programs and with disabled individuals in community settings. They work with people of all ages as well as people with physical, emotional or developmental disabilities.
Courses emphasize learning by doing. Students take activity skills courses in leadership, introduction to recreation, social recreation, fieldwork experience, organization and administration of recreation, health, and arts and crafts.
Job Opportunities in this field: Recreation Director, Specialist and Recreation Therapist
The concentration provides students with the educational and practical experiences for careers in college athletics departments, sports business, and sports facilities planning and management. Courses consist of business and sport management, fieldwork, sport and American society, economics.
Job Opportunities in this field: Sports Business Manager, Sports Administrator, College Athletics Department, Sports Information Director, and Sports Facility Operator.