So you've checked out the RSOs at Kingsborough, and couldn't quite find what you were
looking for? Starting a new RSO involves a bit of work, but it's a rewarding process
in the end! Simply follow the steps below:
- Meet with Student Life staff to discuss your proposed RSO. Be prepared to discuss
how your RSO differs from those already offered on campus.
- Obtain a copy of the Petition for New Registered Student Organization.
- Complete the petition, answering questions about the mission and purpose of your RSO
and how it will enhance student life on campus.
- Obtain signatures from at least 25 current students in support of forming this RSO
on campus. These students do NOT have to join, but it's always better if they do!
- Identify a faculty or staff member willing to serve as the advisor for your new RSO.
Advisors attend RSO meetings an events, help you navigate KCC policies and procedures,
and provide your RSO with a consistent resource from year to year.
- Draft an initial constitution for your RSO, outlining how the group will be structured,
and how it will function. A sample constitution is available from Student Life.
- Submit the petition (with all signatures) and draft constitution to the Office of
Student Life for initial feedback.
- Authority on whether RSOs may form/continue is given to Student Government. SGA has
vested that power in the Campus Activities Board. CAB will review your petition and
contact you with their decision. CAB decisions are final.
- If CAB does not approve your petition, you will be contacted and informed of their
concern(s). A meeting may be scheduled for you to come and address the concerns, and
CAB will vote again, if necessary.
- If CAB approves your initial petition, you will be notified, and Student Life will
help you through the registration process.
- Once CAB approves your new RSO, you will be notified and will work with Student Life
to complete the registration process:
- Officer Elections and Registration
- Officer Training
- Budget Training and Release
- You're good to go!
Office of Student Life
Kingsborough Community College
2001 Oriental Boulevard
Brooklyn, NY 11235
Phone: (718) 368-5597
Fax: (718) email@example.com
*Late hours are only when Fall/Spring classes are in session.