Room D102 | Phone 718 368 5975
What is Counseling Services?
The Counseling Center at Kingsborough Community College offers free and confidential personal counseling services to all currently enrolled students.
This service is specifically geared to helping students with personal and emotional issues that are interfering with achieving their academic goals.Appointments are required for individual counseling sessions with exceptions such as walk-in; crisis intervention, and emergency services for students who feel they need to be seen immediately.
While we understand that college can be a time to have fun, make connections, learn and grow both personally and professionally, it can also be very stressful. It takes personal strength to recognize that you might need help and it takes courage to ask for help. Please know that you can come to us.
Office Hours (Fall and Spring semesters):
What are some issues I can work on with a personal counselor?
- Adjustment to college
- Family problems
- Depression / Anxiety
- Self esteem
- Relationship concerns
- Anger / Conflict
What can I expect from counseling?
Everything about student’s use of the Counseling Center is confidential except:
- If we assess that you may be a danger to yourself or others.
- If we assess that a child or elder is being abused, neglected or exploited.
- If we are required to present records or information as part of a legal proceeding.
- Someone who cares and listens to you in a safe, private and non-judgmental atmosphere.
- Help in clarifying issues from an objective and caring counselor.
- Learning healthy strategies to help you effectively cope with your situation.
- Help in identifying your goals.
- Sessions generally last 45 minutes and are held once a week.
What services are offered?
- Individual and Group Counseling
- Crisis Counseling
- Referrals to off-campus community agencies
- Faculty and staff outreach services
- Presentations and consultations on crisis intervention stemming from students behavioral and emotional problems in class or on campus. Consultation services are in person or by phone.
How to schedule an appointment:
Phone or come to our office to schedule an appointment. Your first appointment consists of an assessment. The counselor will help you identify whether the Counseling Center or another office will be most helpful to you (e.g. individual counseling, one session only, or a referral to an off campus resource). If the goal is individual appointment, you and the intake counselor together will agree on a day and time for the individual counseling sessions.
Counseling Center staff:
Dasha Gorinshteyn - Director
Jeanette Cruz – Counselor & Faculty/Staff Campus Outreach Coordinator
Joanna Agnello - Adjunct Counselor
Marilyn Chernin - Adjunct Counselor
Mark Hollander - Adjunct Counselor
Ursula Llamas - Adjunct Counselor
Rosa Tovar – Adjunct Counselor
Orsolya Varkonyi - Adjunct Counselor
Nezahat Glloxhani - College Assistant
Kathleen Pacilio - CUNY Office Assistant
Rosemarie Stender – College Assistant
Kingsborough Community College | Counseling Center | 2001 Oriental Boulevard | Room: D102 | Brooklyn, New York | Zip Code 11235
Phone and fax:
Phone 718 368 5975 | Fax 718 368 5057