Lesson 11 - UNIT 3 - Quiz #3
1. Describe the essential differences between the following types of mixtures: true
suspensions, and colloidal dispersions.
2. Explain the concept of pH verbally (mathematically at the instructor's discretion) and to
recognize that the scale is logarithmic. Students should know that a change in pH from 7.35
to 6.35 is a 10-fold increase acidity that is incompatible with life and that normal cellular
activity requires the narrow pH range of 7.35-7.45.
3. Explain the concept of a buffer and provide one example.
4. Explain 3 different and basic types of chemical reactions in a general way: e.g., A + B ? AB
as an example of a synthesis.
5. Explain the effects of the following conditions on the rates of chemical reactions: substrate
concentration, presence of catalysts (e.g., enzymes in biological systems), temperature, pH,
and presence of enzyme inhibitors.