What is CUNY Start?
CUNY Start at Kingsborough Community College is a low-cost, intensive program that serves as an alternative to traditional remedial classes. CUNY Start offers rigorous, semester long academic preparation in math and reading and/or writing. In addition, students attend a weekly college-readiness seminar to help them develop their academic identity and learn about college structures and campus resources. The program costs only $75, including all books and materials, and allows students to save their financial aid for credit courses. Total savings range from $1,660 to $2,940, depending on your remedial needs.
Why Choose CUNY Start?
- Meet all your remedial needs: Reading, Writing, and Math in one semester
- Only $75 save financial aid for credit classes - savings range between $1,600 - $2,940 depending on your remedial needs
- Spend fewer semesters in remedial classes
- Two testing opportunities to meet remedial needs in one semester
- Learn in a supportive, student-centered environment
- Work with a CUNY Start Advisor to plan your academic future
Application & Eligibility
Who Is Eligible for CUNY Start?
Students who have been accepted to Kingsborough Community College, still need to pass two or more sections of the CUNY Assessment tests and can demonstrate a commitment to an intensive academic schedule are recommended to apply for the program.
How Do I Apply?
All interested students should visit/contact the CUNY Start Office located in the T4 building, room 4112A. You can contact us at email@example.com or 718.368.4500.
STEP 1: Meet with a CUNY Start Team Member
Schedule an appointment to meet with a CUNY Start team member. We will review the results of your CUNY Assessment exams and discuss the benefits and details of the program.
If you are interested and want to enroll in the program, we will conduct a one-on-one interview to discuss your educational goals, assess your ability to commit to the intensive academic schedule, and determine if you are a good fit for the program. Candidates will be notified at the end of the interview of their acceptance status.
STEP 2: Submit the Online Application
Interested students must complete the CUNY Start online application.
STEP 3: Register for the Program
Once accepted into the program you will need to pay the $75 program fee and submit proof of high school graduation. The fee can be paid by cash or money order.
Class Schedule - CUNY Start Program Option for Fall 2019
- September 5, 2019 - February 7, 2020
- Monday through Friday | 9:15 am 3:00 pm
- Program includes weekly advisement and college success seminars
Monday 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Tuesday 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Wednesday 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Thursday 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Friday 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
- Wenddy Zepeda, Director | firstname.lastname@example.org
- ChanTareya Moore, Administrative Coordinator |email@example.com
- Aleah Huggins, College Assistant | Aleah.Huggins@kbcc.cuny.edu
- Sabah Aljahmee, Support Math Instructor
- Colin Bosio-Cady, Core Reading/Writing Instructor
- John Kearney, Lead Math Instructor
- Vicky Musto, Support Math Instructor
- Kristina Pantaleo, Core Math Instructor