Launch Your Career at Sea
A.A.S. Degree in Maritime Technology
A 60 credit (two-year) college degree
Marine Service Technician Apprentice Program
Four-year apprenticeship program with paid internship, culminating with an Associate in Applied
Science (A.A.S.) degree and the title of Journeyman from the NYS Department of Labor
- Boat handling
- Vessel repair
- Diesel and outboard engines
- Electrical systems
- Marina operations
- Hydraulics & refrigeration
- Safety and survival including first
aid, CPR, and fire fighting
College credits meet the requirements for entry to New York police, fire, and corrections
Credits also qualify for entry to the Officer Candidate Schools of the United States Coast Guard, the Navy,
and other branches of the Armed Forces.
I want to learn more about becoming a student at
Kingsborough Community College.
Click to receive the link to
KCC’s Interactive Viewbook
About the Program:
Gain Hands-On Experience
Classes are conducted aboard the college’s training vessels and in its marina and workshops. In addition to earning an
associate degree, at the completion of our 2-year degree program you’ll have the opportunity to earn the following
certifications once you’ve successfully passed the maritime technology (MT) classes listed below.
MT-55 – Marine Electronics:
• Marine Radio Operators Permit (MROP)
• Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
• Restricted Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
Administered through KCC and the National Marine Electronics Association (NMEA) $50 for the first 2 elements,
$25 per additional element.
MT-54 – Low Voltage Electrical Systems:
• Basic Marine Electronics Installer. Administered through NMEA, test fee $125
• Snap On Multi Meter Certification, no additional fee
• Snap on Battery Charging Certification, no additional fee
• Snap On Battery Maintenance and Engine Starting, no additional fee
• Snap On Battery, Starting, and Charging System Diagnostics, no additional fee
MT-57 – Vessel Systems:
• Basic NMEA 2000 Installer. Administered through KBCC and NMEA, test fee $125
• Marine Electrical Certification (American Boat and Yacht Council) additional fee $150
• Marine Systems Certification (American Boat and Yacht Council) additional fee $150
MT-56 – Advanced Outboards:
• Gasoline Engine Certification, ABYC, additional fee $150
• Yamaha Engine Certification, no additional fee
• Evinrude Engine Certification, no additional fee
• Suzuki Engine and systems certification, no additional fee
MT-51 – Introduction to Diesel Engines:
• Diesel Engine Certification, ABYC, additional fee $150
MT-43 – Marina Operations: The following certification are included in the course.
• Bottom Painting Apprentice, no additional fee
• Fork Lift Truck, no additional fee
• Strap Lift, no additional fee
All certifications are administrated at Kingsborough Community College.
Access to Great Jobs
Graduates from Kingsborough Community College’s 2-year associate degree program can become captains, mates and
deckhands on tugboats, ferries, private yachts, dinner boats, and more. Jobs ashore include marina management, boat
sales, vessel repair, and more.