NYC Men Teach
Part of the Young Men's Initiative, NYC Men Teach is a partnership between the Office of the Mayor, the New York City Department of Education, and CUNY that aims to improve the diversity of the New York teaching workforce by adding 1,000 male teachers of color into the teacher pipeline by 2018. NYC Men Teach at Kingsborough Community College builds upon our commitment to educate and support students in urban schools, and highlights the importance of deep clinical, culturally relevant, and restorative practice.
- Jonathon Cabrera
- Room M-101F
Kingsborough Community College
2001 Oriental Boulevard Brooklyn, NY 11235
Kingsborough Community College is seeking eligible applicants with
a desire to:
- Educate the next generation of leaders
- Engage with classrooms and communities with cultural relevancy
- Empower young people by reflecting their value in the classroom and
to the city
In order to be eligible for this program, applicants typically meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled CUNY student who is accepted into, or intends to apply to, a CUNY Teacher Education program
- Interested in becoming a certified teacher in New York State
- Academically qualified with a minimum 3.00 cumulative GPA
- Experience working/volunteering in urban communities
- Committed to working/teaching in a New York City public school
- Have already completed 24 credits toward an associate degree or 45 credits
toward a bachelor's degree, or be currently enrolled in a CUNY graduate teacher education program
Enrolled CUNY students who do not meet the full criteria should still apply, and may be accepted as a "pipeline" student with at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA.
The NYC Men Teach program provides academic and financial supports to program participants, with the goal of supporting them through the certification and hiring process so they can enter the New York teaching workforce as effective urban educators. Program participants may receive monthly MetroCards, free certification exam practice tests, and other financial incentives as well as access to a dedicated program counselor who will help with advisement and academic supports.
Visit the NYC Men Teach website for more information and to apply online.
All programs and activities of the NYC Men Teach program are open to all eligible applicants, without regard to race, gender, national origin, or other characteristic protected by law.