Skip to main content Skip to footer content

VA/Military TA

Education Benefits - VA/Military TA

Apply for VA Education benefits:

You can stay informed about changes or modifications to your benefits by reviewing the GI Bill/VA® website or by contacting the VA directly at 1-888-GIBILL-1.

Responsibilities for students receiving Education benefits

Here is a list of responsibilities to ensure that you are getting the most out of your education benefits, and to avoid incurring debt to KCC or the Department of Veterans Affairs:

  • Meet with your Advisor prior to each semester to ensure that all courses you register for are required for your current major
  • Register for 12 or more credits to achieve full-time status, during the fall and spring semesters. 6 or more credits is required to achieve full-time for the winter and summer semesters (includes required remedial/developmental courses)
  • Notify Military and Veteran Affairs if you add or drop courses which can impact your education benefit certifications
  • Notify Military and Veteran Affairs if you change your major so that we can update that information with the VA.
  • Submit a written request to be certified for VA Education benefits prior to the start of each semester, together with a copy of your advisement plan/DegreeWorks audit
  • Be aware that you are responsible to pay any remaining tuition/fees balance before the end of the semester, if not fully covered by VA Education Benefits, Financial Aid, Military Tuition Assistance, etc.
  • Acknowledge that if you do not attend, or stop attending, any courses, your VA Education Benefit certification will be adjusted, and you may incur a debt from the school, Department of Veterans Affairs, or both agencies.
  • If you received orders for training/deployment/drill, please provide a copy to the Military and Veteran Affairs Office, as well as your Professor.
  • Recipients of VA educational benefits Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty)and Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI - Selected Reserve) must verify their attendance at KCC with the VA at the end of each month while you are in classes. Use the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or call the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-VA-ECERT (1-877-823-2378) to verify your attendance. 
  • Keep in mind that the VA does not make payment to the college for tuition/fees for chapters 1606, 30 & 35, so you are responsible for making tuition payment to KCC, or applying for financial aid (PELL through FAFSA.ED.GOV, TAP/VTA through HESC.NY.GOV) to cover tuition/fees.

Military Tuition Assistance (TA)

  • If you are interested in using Tuition Assistance (TA) through your Military branch, you must contact your Education Services Officer (ESO) or Counselor within your Military service prior to enrolling at Kingsborough Community College to receive approval or you could be responsible for all tuition costs. Military TA must be requested and approved before the start of courses. Here are links to apply according to Military branch:

Apply for Military Tuition Assistance (TA):

Please note that each Military branch has different requirements and criteria for Tuition Assistance eligibility. Contact your Education Services Officer (ESO) or Counselor within your Military branch prior to applying.

Military Tuition Assistance Refund Schedule

12-week course withdrawal submitted (fall/spring, session A)

Before or during week 1-2

100% refund

During week 3-4

90% return

During week 5


During week 6

50% return

During week 7

40% return( 60% courses is completed)

During week 8-12

0% return

6-week course withdrawal submitted (fall/spring, session B)

Before or during week 1

100% return

During week 2

75% return

During week 3-4

50% return

During week 5-6

0% return

Kingsborough Community College and its agents including third party lead generators, marketing firms, or companies that own or operate the educational institutions will:

  • Ban inducements, including any gratuity, favor, discount, entertainment, hospitality, loan, transportation, lodging, meals, or other item having a monetary value of more than a de minimis amount, to any individual or entity, or its agents including third party lead generators or marketing firms other than salaries paid to employees or fees paid to contractors in conformity with all applicable laws for the purpose of securing enrollments of Service members or obtaining access to Military Tuition Assistance (TA) funds. Educational institution sponsored scholarships or grants and tuition reductions available to military students are permissible, and;
  • Refrain from providing any commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on securing enrollments or federal financial aid (including TA funds) to any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting, admission activities, or making decisions regarding the award of student financial assistance, and;
  • Refrain from high-pressure recruitment tactics such as making multiple unsolicited contacts (3 or more), including contacts by phone, email, or in-person, and engaging in same-day recruitment and registration for the purpose of securing Service member enrollments.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at: