What is Math Start?
Math Start is CUNY Start’s 8-14 week intervention that prepares students for success in college by fostering their full math potential. In a social and collaborative learning environment, students access the support they need to increase their understanding of math so that they can meet CUNY’s proficiency standards and thrive as CUNY college students. The program costs only $35, including all books and materials, and allows students to save their financial aid for credit courses. Total savings range from $840 to $1,660, depending on your remedial needs.
Benefits of Math Start
- Only $35, includes materials
- Meet all your math remedial needs this summer
- Two opportunities to achieve proficiency in math
- Learn in a supportive, student-centered online environment
- Dedicated advisor supports your successful transition to college
- Saves tuition and financial aid dollars for credit courses that count toward your degree
- Pipeline to ASAP program
Application & Eligibility
Who Is Eligible for Math Start?
Students who have been accepted to Kingsborough Community College for the upcoming semester and are English proficient but need to meet math proficiency.
Our program will be fully online so it is strongly recommended that students have access to reliable Wi-Fi and a laptop/computer.
How Do I Apply?
Interested students can contact the CUNY Start/Math Start Office to find out if they are eligible for the program. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and EMPLID. If eligible, you will need to:
STEP 1: Attend a Virtual Info/Registration Session
During the virtual session, we will explain the CUNY proficiency index and review the details of our program. In addition, we will conduct an interview to discuss your educational goals, assess your ability to commit to the intensive academic schedule, and determine if Math Start is the right option for you.
STEP 2: Register for the program
To finalize your registration you will need to pay the $35 program fee, sign the student agreement, and clear any registration holds.
MATH START Spring 2023 ONLINE PROGRAM
- March 7, 2023 – June 22, 2023
- Monday through Thursday | 6:00 pm - 9:30 pm
- Fully Online/Synchronous Classes
- Program includes weekly advisement and college success seminars
- Online classes will be synchronous, meaning that students and instructors are required to be online at the same time during the days and times stated above. All students must be online during class time in order to participate. It is strongly recommended that students enrolling in our program have reliable Wi-Fi access, a laptop/computer, and a working microphone.