What is CUNY Start?
CUNY Start at Kingsborough Community College is a low-cost, intensive program that serves as an alternative to traditional remedial classes. CUNY Start offers rigorous, semester long academic preparation in math and reading and/or writing. In addition, students attend a weekly college-readiness seminar to help them develop their academic identity and learn about college structures and campus resources. The program costs only $75, including all books and materials, and allows students to save their financial aid for credit courses. Total savings range from $1,660 to $2,940, depending on your remedial needs.
Why Choose CUNY Start?
- Become English and Math proficient in one semester
- Only $75 so you can save financial aid for credit classes - savings range between $1,600 - $2,940 depending on your remedial needs
- Spend fewer semesters in remedial classes
- Two opportunities to meet proficiency in one semester
- Learn in a supportive, student-centered environment
- Work with a CUNY Start Advisor to plan your academic future
Application & Eligibility
Who Is Eligible for CUNY Start?
Students who have been accepted to Kingsborough Community College, need developmental support in both English and Math, and can demonstrate a commitment to an intensive academic schedule are recommended to apply for the program.
How Do I Apply?
All interested students should contact the CUNY Start/Math Start Office to find out if they are eligible for the program. Email us at email@example.com with your full name and date of birth (MM/DD) and we will check your eligibility. If eligible all you will need to do is:
STEP 1: Meet Virtually with a CUNY Start team member
During our virtual session, we will review your proficiency index and share the benefits and details of the program. In addition, we will conduct an interview to discuss your educational goals, assess your ability to commit to the intensive academic schedule, and determine if CUNY Start is the right option for you.
STEP 2: Register for the program
Once accepted into the program, you will need to pay the $75 program fee, sign the student agreement, and clear any registration holds.
Class Schedule - CUNY Start Program Option for Fall 2020
Full-Time Program: Math, Reading and Writing
- September 16, 2020 – February 11, 2021
- Monday through Friday | 9:15 am 3:00 pm
- Fully Online Program
- Program includes weekly advisement and college success seminars
NEW Part-Time Math Evening Program
- September 16, 2020 – February 10, 2021
- Monday through Thursday | 6:00 pm 9:00 pm
- Fully Online Program
- Program includes Math and College Success Seminars
It is strongly recommended that students enrolling in our fall online programs have reliable Wi-Fi access and a laptop/computer.
Due to COVID-19, we will be offering the remote office hours below. If we are unable to answer your call, please leave your name and contact number and we will return your call as soon as possible.
Monday 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
Tuesday 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
Wednesday 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
Thursday 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
- Wenddy Zepeda, Director | firstname.lastname@example.org
- ChanTareya Moore, Administrative Coordinator |email@example.com
- Aleah Huggins, College Assistant | Aleah.Huggins@kbcc.cuny.edu
- Sabah Aljahmee, Math Instructor
- Colin Bosio-Cady, Reading/Writing Instructor
- Roald Johnny, Jr., Math Instructor
- John Kearney, Math Instructor
- Vicky Musto, Math Instructor
- Kristina Pantaleo, Math Instructor
- Daniel Sidman, Reading/Writing Instructor
- Jia Ying Wu, Math Instructor
- Abigail Murphy