Online Readiness Course Student FAQ
“Are You Ready?”
What is the “Are You Ready?” Online Readiness Course?
“Are You Ready?” is an online readiness course designed to prepare you for taking online courses. Whether your courses are hybrid, synchronous or asynchronous, this course will cover topics to help you navigate in an online environment.
Where can I find “Are You Ready?”?
You can find the “Are You Ready?” course under “My Organizations” on the right-hand side of the Blackboard home page.
How long does it take to complete the course?
Most students can complete the course in 30 to 45 minutes, in one sitting.
What is the format of “Are You Ready?”?
“Are You Ready?” begins with a one-minute video with a 10-question assessment about qualities of an online learner, recommendations to help you be a successful online learner, and five sections to complete. Each section has a brief video of one to two minutes, text that reinforces ideas presented in the video, and a short quiz of four to six questions.
What are the topics covered in “Are You Ready?”?
1. Welcome to CUNY Online Learning - Defines what an online course is and provides some basics tips on how to be a successful online learner.
2. Basic Technology Proficiency - Explains login and password information for CUNYFirst and Blackboard, as well as acceptable file formats to submit assignments in Blackboard.
3. Using Blackboard - Reviews Blackboard’s announcement feature and other interactive tools such as blogs, wikis discussion boards, and collaborate. In addition, you get to practice using a discussion board, submitting an assignment and accessing your Kingsborough email.
4. Technology Requirements - Reviews how to add specific software, recommended browsers to use with Blackboard and the technology that should be used when taking online tests.
5. Netiquette (online etiquette) - Provides you with information about acceptable communication language in digital environments, privacy, and academic integrity.
What are the benefits of the course?
- “Are You Ready?” is both an assessment tool and a course. In addition to helping students reflect on whether they are a good fit and prepared for online learning, it also provides insight on how to navigate in an online environment.
- Since the course is located in Blackboard, you will experience what an online course is like as you complete the course.
- The course includes references to various support services available to you.
- Although the course may be most useful to first-time freshmen who are not familiar with Blackboard, it can also benefit students who need a review.
How do I know if I completed “Are You Ready?”?
You need to earn a grade of 80% on each quiz before moving to the next section of “Are You Ready?”. Once you have successfully completed all sections of the course, you will earn a certificate of completion that can be printed for your professors.
How soon do I have to complete the “Are You Ready?” course?
This course should be completed before the beginning of the semester.
What if I already completed the course?
If you already completed the course at another institution, then transferred within CUNY, you do not have to retake the “Are You Ready?” course.