If a Kingsborough Community College course is either not being offered or is closed, a student may take courses on permit at other colleges throughout CUNY. You may apply for an ePermit by using the CUNY Portal. If you do not already have a CUNY Portal Account, see the CUNY Portal Instructions below.
To be eligible to take a course on permit at another CUNY college:
- Students must have passed all three parts of the CUNY/ACT Freshmen Skills Assessment Tests.
- Students must have all immunizations required by the Home College.
- Students must have no stops on their record.
- Students must have a 2.0 (or higher) cumulative grade point average.
- Students must currently be enrolled and in attendance at Kingsborough Community College.
- Non-Degree students and first semester students (i.e., freshmen or transfer) are not eligible to take a course on permit.
- Course(s) must transfer back towards your KCC degree. Students must include both host college course(s) and home college equivalent course(s) descriptions on their ePermit application.
- Students may take one or two course(s) only on permit per semester/module.
- Students may only take the course(s) for which they have received permission.
- Approval of permit requests remains in the hands of the Department Chairpersons. If a request is denied, the student is notified by email of the reason for the denial.
- Be sure to arrange for an official transcript to be sent from the "host" college, upon course(s) completion, to:
The Office of the Registrar, Room A-101
Kingsborough Community College
2001 Oriental Boulevard
Brooklyn, NY 11235
ATTN: Transfer Credit Evaluation
- All credits and grades of courses taken at the host institution on permit will be transferred to a student’s record and included in the cumulative grade point average and transfer credit accumulation. (NOTE: The maximum number of transfer credits is 30.)
- If the number of course credits assigned by the host college and the home college are not the same, students will receive the lesser number of credits for the course.
To apply for an ePermit follow these 5 simple steps:
- Go to the CUNY homepage ( www.cuny.edu).
- Log on to your CUNY Portal account.
- After logging in, scroll down to “My Page,” and click on the “ePermit” link.
- The ePermit page will open; re-enter your "Username" and "Password."
- Detailed instructions are displayed on how to use ePermit. Click on "Create New Permit" located on the left menu.
CUNY Portal Instructions ( www.cuny.edu):
To apply for a CUNY Portal account, follow these 6 simple steps:
- Click on the "Log-in" link in the lower left hand corner on the CUNY Portal home page.
- Click on the "Register Now!" link.
- Select the option “Student.”
- On the "User Validation" page you must enter your Last Name, Social Security Number and Date of Birth. Click "Next" to confirm your entry.
- Click "Confirm" to verify the information you entered on the previous page.
- Select and confirm your password and email address. Then click the "Save" button. Make sure you write down your user name and password and keep them in a safe place. You will need them each time you visit the Portal!