The Immersion Program is a CUNY program that has been part of Kingsborough Community College since 1986. During the winter module and over the summer months, the Immersion Program offers our currently enrolled students intense remedial instruction in mathematics, reading and writing. Additionally, incoming fall freshmen are accommodated during the summer. Day and evening schedules are available and all courses are tuition free. Skilled tutors provide extra support and counselors are available to help with personal, academic and career issues.
Who should attend the Immersion Program?
- CUNY bound students who, after taking the CUNY Placement Tests, require remediation in one or more of the academic subjects of mathematics, reading or writing.
- Students presently enrolled in KCC who are having trouble passing one or more of the assessment tests.
What are the advantages of attending the Immersion Program?
- Students can fulfill their basic skills requirements in a stimulating, friendly and supportive environment during the short winter and summer modules.
- Immersion courses are free of charge.
- Incoming freshmen can get a head start on their education by completing any developmental requirements before the fall semester begins.
When are Immersion Program courses offered?
The Immersion Program courses are offered during Kingsborough's Winter Module (Winter Immersion Program) and during June, July and August (Summer Immersion Program).
What is the Summer Immersion Program (SIP)?
The SIP serves two populations of students: incoming freshmen and currently enrolled KCC students. We offer three different summer sessions. Courses are offered at various times to accommodate day and evening schedules.
Session I is a six-week program of writing courses, three-week program of reading courses and a one-week program of math courses which are offered during the College's Summer Module (mid-June to late July). These courses are open to currently enrolled students.
Session II is a four-week program of math, reading and writing courses offered late June to Late July. These courses are open to incoming freshmen.
Session III is a special two-week intensive program running during late July and early August. During this session math, reading, writing and English as a second language (ESL) courses are offered as well.
What is the Winter Immersion Program (WIP)?
The WIP is a six-week program of writing courses, three-week program of reading courses and a one-week program of math courses offered during the college's winter module (early January to mid-February). These courses are open to currently enrolled KCC students. Courses are offered at various times to accommodate day and evening schedules.