OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
TO: All Faculty
FROM: Interim President Stuart Suss
DATE: December 4, 2013
RE: Call for Proposals for 2014-2015 President's Faculty Innovation Awards
I am pleased to announce the criteria and dates for the 2014-2015 President’s Faculty Innovation Awards. A total of $25,000 for the 2014-2015 academic year will be available. Awards of up to $5,000 will be made to successful applicants. These awards are intended to support innovations that benefit our students directly. We are especially interested in the following types of projects:
- use of active and/or collaborative pedagogical approaches, including "flipped classrooms"
- use of instructional technology in the classroom and/or for hybrid courses
- research projects that involve faculty and students in a mentoring relationship
- research involving interdisciplinary and/or integrative collaborations (e.g., within one of our learning communities—Opening Doors, Integrative Studies or Intensive ESL)
- development of civic engagement course components for existing courses, new civic engagement courses, college-wide civic engagement activities, and/or global learning in existing and/or new courses
- integration of quantitative reasoning into existing and/or new courses
If you have such a project in mind and would like it to be considered for an award, please submit a project proposal of no more than five pages to Associate Provost Reza Fakhari () no later than March 14, 2014. Proposals should include:
- A cover page with the name(s) and department(s) of the proposers
- A description of the project and its intended impact on student engagement and learning
- An itemized budget for up to $5,000 and a timeline for implementation. (Full-time faculty can be granted release time upon approval of their Chairperson before submitting the proposal. Full-time faculty can only be paid summer salary for any compensation. All applicants are strongly urged to consult with Ms. Wanda Morales in College Advancement [M243, Ext. 4539] to draw up their budget.)
- A plan for assessing the project’s intended impact on student engagement and learning
- A brief description of the applicant’s plans to present/share the project to/with the College community (e.g., Faculty Forum)
Please note that basic course redesign, as would fall within usual faculty responsibilities, is ineligible. Course enhancements, as described above, will be considered.
All proposals will be reviewed by the Faculty Awards Committee* and recommendations made to the President. Awardees will be announced on April 15, 2014.
I strongly encourage all faculty to think creatively and collaboratively, and I look forward to having our students benefit from the exciting work these awards are designed to support.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Fakhari at extension 4550. To view past projects and awardees, please visit:
*The Faculty Awards Committee:
Loretta Brancaccio-Taras, Biological Sciences, Chair of the Committee
Christian Calienes, Office of Institutional Research, Assessment, and Planning
Ann Del Principe, English Department
Reza Fakhari, Office of Academic Affairs, ex officio
Laura Kates, Behavioral Sciences and Human Services Department
Jay Mancini, Physical Sciences Department
Theresa Mastrianni, Business Department
Marissa Schlesinger, Office of Academic Affairs