Date: May 14, 2008
To: Members of the College Council
From: Barbara Ladman, Secretary BL
Subject: Agenda for the Meeting of May 20, 2008
The College Council will meet on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 in Room M-240 at 3:00 p.m.
I. Approval of the minutes of the meeting of March 25, 2008.II. Reports
The Curriculum Committee presents the following resolutions:
a.Resolved, That the following Letter of Intent be approved:
Department of Behavioral Sciences and Human ServicesA.S. Chemical Dependency Counseling (See Attachment A)
b.Resolved, That the following degree programs be approved:
(1) Department of History, Philosophy and Political ScienceA.A. Criminal Justice – Joint Program with John Jay College B.A. in Criminal Justice (See Attachment B)
(2) Department of NursingTwenty-four credit End-of-Life/Palliative Nursing Care Certificate Program(See Attachment C)
c. Resolved, That the following Changes in Degree Programs be approved:(1)Department of Behavioral Science and Human ServicesA.S. Mental Health and Human ServicesFrom: Any SOC elective or ANT 03700 or SAC 02000To: Any SOC elective or ANT 03700 or ANT 03900 or SAC 02000
(2) Department of NursingA.A.S. Nursing (See Attachment D)Entrance Requirements:To be considered for the clinical component of the Nursing program, students must:Delete: If required to repeat courses in the Pre-clinical sequence due to unsatisfactory initial grades, achieve a minimum grade point average of 2.5 based on all grades earned in the Pre-clinical sequence courses; all grades received for courses taken in the Pre-clinical sequence will be included in the Pre-clinical grade point average computation.Add: Students who have repeated and/or withdrawn from any of the Pre-clinical sequence courses may not be considered for admission to the Nursing program.Add: Transfer students from other colleges must be in good standing. Students who are on academic probation, or have been administratively dismissed from a nursing program at a previous school are not eligible for admission to the Nursing program.Delete: Submit transcripts from other colleges (NOTE: All grades received for Pre-clinical sequence courses will be averaged in the GPA computation).Add: Submit transcripts from other colleges (NOTE: The letter grades earned in the Pre-clinical sequence courses at other colleges will be used to determine eligibility for admission.
Intent to Return to Nursing CoursesAdd: The Intent to Return to Nursing Courses form may be obtained from the Department website or the Department Office, M-401.
d. Resolved, That the following New Courses be approved:
(1) Department of History, Philosophy and Political Science(a) PHI 07000, Problems in Philosophy: God, Man, and Nature 3 crs., 3 hrs.Pre/Co-requisites: NoneFulfills Group II Distribution Requirement
(b) POL 06900, Policing 3 crs., 3 hrs. Pre/Co-requisites: POL 06300, Introduction to Criminal JusticeFulfills Group III Distribution Requirement for A.A. degree only
(c) POL 07000, Corrections and Sentencing 3 crs., 3 hrs. Pre/Co-requisites: POL 06300, Introduction to Criminal JusticeFulfills Group III Distribution Requirement for A.A. degree only (2) Department of Mathematics and Computer ScienceCP 09100, Programming using Statistical Analysis System (SAS) 3 crs., 4 hrs. (2 hrs. lecture, 2 hrs. lab)Prerequisite: Passing grade on parts 1 and 2 of the COMPASS examCo-requisite: MAT 02000, Elements of StatisticsFulfills Group V Distribution Requirement
(3) Department of Tourism and HospitalityMT 03000, Introduction to Maritime Technology 3 crs., 4 hrs. (2 hrs. lecture, 2 hrs. lab)Prerequisite: Enrollment in the College Now Program
e. The following items are presented by the Curriculum committee for informational purposes only:82 Courses(1) Department of Behavioral Sciences and Human ServicesEDC 082xx, Introduction to After-School Studies 2 crs., 2 hrs.Co-requisite: EDC 02000, Foundations of Education
(2) Department of History, Philosophy and Political Science(a) POL 082xx, War: Its Causes and Character 3 crs., 3 hrs.Pre/Co-requisites: NoneFulfills Group III Distribution Requirement
(b) POL 082xx, African Politics 3 crs., 3 hrs.Pre/Co-requisites: NoneFulfills Group III Distribution Requirement
(3) Department of Physical SciencesSCI 08247, Chemistry of Forensic Science 3 crs., 4 hrs. (2 hrs. lecture, 2 hrs. lab)Prerequisites: CHM 00100, Preview of General Chemistry andMAT 00900, College AlgebraFulfills Group V Distribution RequirementChanges in Credits/Hours, Pre/Co-requisites (1) Department of Health, Physical Education and RecreationChange in Pre/Co-requisiteCOH 01300, EpidemiologyFrom: Prerequisite: MAT 00700, MAT 00900 or MAT 02000To: Passing score on the COMPASS Math Skills Test or the equivalent
(2) Department of NursingChange in HoursST 04P00, Practicum IIFrom: 3 crs., 16 hrs.To: 3 crs., 8 hrs.
Point of information
(1) Department of Tourism and HospitalityChange in Pre/Co-requisite(a) TAH 08202, Cruiseline Management and AdministrationFrom: Co-requisite: TAH 08204, Cruiseline Marketing and SalesTo: Co-requisite: none(b) TAH 08204, Cruiseline Marketing and SalesFrom: Co-requisite: TAH 08202, Cruiseline Management and AdministrationTo: Co-requisite: none
The Committee on Instruction presents the following resolution for approval:
Whereas, An informal Academic Integrity Initiative Committee was formed to address the issue of plagiarism at Kingsborough Community College; and
Whereas, Committees were formed to suggest a definition and policy for the consideration of the College Council,
Therefore, Be it resolved, that the following procedures be adopted for use at Kingsborough Community College. (See Attachment E)
The Budget Committee presents the following resolution for approval:Resolved, That the following 2008-2009 Annual Priorities be approved.
Improving Student Outcomes
Delivery of Instruction
Student Services and Enrollment Management
Resource and Organizational Development
Also see Strategic Plan- Implementation Plan (Attachment F)
WHEREAS, The position of KCC Faculty Governance Leader currently lacks a clear election procedure; be it
RESOLVED, That this position shall be formally established; and be it further
RESOLVED, That the Faculty Governance Leader shall represent the faculty of Kingsborough Community College at the meetings of the University Faculty Senate Faculty Governance Leaders, and shall report back to the College Council about the activities, discussions, policies, and other pertinent information regarding these meetings; and be it further
RESOLVED, That only faculty members of the College Council shall be eligible to nominate, be nominated, and vote for Faculty Governance Leader; and be it further
RESOLVED, That the Faculty Governance Leader shall be elected at the last meeting of the College Council for the academic year; and be it further
RESOLVED, That the term of the Faculty Governance Leader shall be for the duration of his or her current term as delegate on the College Council. This shall be effective September, 2008.
department delegates to the College Council:
WHEREAS, The language appearing in sections II and III of the College Council Constitution is currently inconsistent regarding the eligibility of voters for department delegates to serve in that capacity; be it
RESOLVED, That a statement be added to section II as a new subsection (b) stating: “Persons eligible to vote for department delegates shall be eligible to nominate candidates and be nominated for the position of department delegate.”
The Committee on Students presents a report on current student activities.
III. New Business