The Culinary Arts program at Kingsborough Community College is a comprehensive training program designed for successful entry into the creative, high-paced workplaces of the food industry. We offer two programs to set you on your career path:
Certificate in Culinary Arts and Food Management—
a one-year certificate designed for students who already have a college degree in another field.
For more info on the food program,contact the Director of the Culinary Arts Program, Chef Smyth at: Thomas.email@example.com or call the Tourism and Hospitality Department at: 718-368-5143
Distinctive program features include:
- A real-world internship in a professional kitchen.
- College credits transferable within and beyond CUNY.
- The opportunity for advanced standing college credits through partner high school Culinary and Hospitality programs like KBCC College Now Culinary Arts.
- Scholarship competitions Careers Through Culinary Arts Programs (CCAP)
- Culinary Arts exhibition opportunities including the Salon of Culinary Art and Exhibition NYC.
- The ability to broaden your college experience with our delivery of special topics courses. Winter and summer modules at KBCC are the opportune time to join guest chefs from New York as they share trending techniques and cutting edge food theory. Courses cover topics including Sous Vide; Molecular Gastronomy; Note by Note Cuisine to Master classes in Chocolate and Sugar Confections; Regional Cuisine; Beef, Lamb and Pork Butchery for the small restaurant; and tips on cooking and pastry for exhibition and media outlets.
- An on-campus learning restaurant where you learn to work in the kitchen and dining room of a fine dining restaurant in a safe, mentored environment.
- A capstone experience in culinary improvisation and creativity--learning market basket-style cooking firmly rooted in training of technique and basic skills.
- A food product/business development incubator: Kitchen Ventures Incubator Program (KVIP) with continuing education opportunities to develop a food business idea or product with support from KCC's culinary faculty.
- Eligibility for national, local and professional industry certifications from:
- The benefits of being a student at a major university: libraries, clubs, performances, athletic teams, career services and student services.
Upon graduation, students enter the workplace or transfer to a baccalaureate institution.