Kingsborough College
Inside KCC Button
Skip Navigation Links


FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions


  • How many absences are allowed in classes?
    According to KCC policy, you are allowed to miss up to 6 hours of class per semester but your grade begins to be affected after missing 3 hours of class.

  • How many absences are allowed in internships?
    You are allowed up to 2 excused absences (to be determined by the professor) and you will fail if you miss any more than 2. It does not matter what the reason is.

  • Which MH courses are Writing Intensive courses?
    Professor Billies’ MH31 Principles of Interviewing and Group Leadership.

  • How do I get Mental Health program forms?
    See each page of the Mental Health and Human Services website for the forms you need.

  • How do I make an appointment to see a professor?
    Contact each professor individually.

  • Click the Mental Health Contact Us page

  • Or use the Faculty Directory for KCC

  • What kinds of clubs are there for us?
    The Mental Health club (hyperlink to Mental Health club page)


  • What are the differences between the Mental Health concentrations?

  • The General Mental Health Concentration prepares you for all social work, counseling, and human service professions.

  • The Domestic Violence Concentration prepares you to work in all mental health settings with a specialization in domestic violence issues.

  • The Substance Abuse Concentration prepares you to work in all mental health settings with a specialization in substance abuse issues.** NOTE: If you concentrate in Substance Abuse Counseling, both internships (MH 9801 and MH 9802) must be completed within the Substance Abuse Counseling field.

  • Which concentration should I pick?
    You can pick any one of the three; they all satisfy the requirements for a Mental Health major.

Field Internships

  • When should I sign up for an internship?
    The semester before you want to do your field internship.

  • Why do I have to use my KBCC email address for signing up for internships?
    It is the formal way to make sure you receive required documents and information.

  • What if I never check my KBCC email?
    You may miss emails that could keep you from doing your field internship.

  • How do I find out if I've been accepted to an internship?
    You will be contacted by the Mental Health office after you sign-up. You can also check with the Mental Health office.

  • What courses are generally required for fields?
    Two courses are required: MH 11 and either MH30, MH31 or MH34.

  • What if I have scheduling requirements that conflict with internships?
    You have to be available for the full internship hours. There are a variety of choices in the Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer sessions.

  • Do I have to have two PPDs (Tuberculosis tests)? Is this required?
    Yes, for certain internships. They must be at least one week apart and must be done before the internship starts.

kccFacebook KCCTwitter
Privacy Statement | GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT | Disclaimer | Text Only | IT Accessibility |

Kingsborough Community College
2001 Oriental Boulevard, Brooklyn, NY 11235-2398 | (718)-368-5000
Kingsborough is CUNY
Make This Website Talk