Mental Health Field Internships
As a Mental Health and Human Services major, part of your degree coursework includes the fulfillment of 2 field internships, MH9801 and MH9802.
These fields are designed to give you direct experience in a variety of mental health care environments. When doing your field, you will be working in a real facility and with real people, much like you would as a mental health professional.
- You must have a minimum of 30 credits with a passing grade.
- Among those 30 credits (or more), you must have passed 3 MH classes from the following
- MH31 or MH34
- MH30 or MH35
- You cannot have an F, W, FINC or INC among 30 credits or eligible MH classes.
- You must be in good standing with the MH program.
Field Internship Descriptions
Our current placements include:
Nursing Home and Skilled Nursing Care facilities
Schools for the developmentally disabled
Domestic Violence public education
Community-based Outpatient Mental Health
Field Internship schedules:
Fields are available during all semesters and modules.
During the fall and spring 12-week semesters, field internship class takes place 1 day per week, during these times:
- Tuesday, 9:00AM - 3:00PM
- Wednesday, 9:00AM – 3:00 PM
- Friday, 9:00AM - 3:00PM
- Saturday, 9:00AM - 3:00PM
During the winter and summer 6-week modules, field internships take place 2 days per week; both days are mandatory:
- Tuesdays & Wednesdays, 9:00AM - 3:00PM.
Express field internships take place during the modules, 4 days per week, for 3 weeks; all four days are mandatory:
- Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, 9:00AM - 3:00PM
You are allowed two excused absences, but if you miss more than 2, including lateness, you will be required to withdraw from the internship and take it during another module or semester.
To register for a field, you have to go through the Mental Health and Human Services office.
- Apply in the semester BEFORE you want your field (apply in Fall for Spring field, apply in Spring for Fall field.)
- Email email@example.com with the following:
- Emplid ID
- What semester or module you are applying for
- We assign you to a field. We consider your preferences as best we can.
- We will contact you over phone and email after you are placed to tell you which field you can register for and give you the registration code.
- Make sure your work schedule, child care, and other responsibilities arranged so you can attend all 12 classes for 6 hours each.
- Register for the field using the code we give you.
- Every field has a different onboarding process that can take a few weeks. Many field internships require health and security documentation including medical forms, fingerprinting, and TB tests. You must have these completed before the first day of your field internship. You are responsible for days you miss and incomplete documentation is not an acceptable reason for absence.
- If you have questions or issues with your field internship schedule, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.