Frequently asked questions

Everything You Need to Know About Graduation

In order to earn a KCC degree, in general, you will need to meet the following requirements:

  1. Be matriculated during your LAST term of attendance at Kingsborough.
  2. Earn 60 credits (or the specific credit requirement for your major) meeting the specific course requirements for your degree.
  3. Have a 2.00 cumulative grade point average at the end of the last term.
  4. Meet any required grading requirements for course(s) (such as a minimum grade of "C" in nursing courses).
  5. Passed the CUNY Reading, Writing, and Mathematics assessment examinations.
  6. File a graduation application with the Registrar’s Office (Room A-101) during the appropriate filing period. Consult the Academic Calendar for opening and closing filing dates.

Please Note: Records are not automatically evaluated for graduation eligibility once you have accumulated 60 credits. You must file an official graduation application or your academic record will not be reviewed.

Q: What is a Graduation Evaluation?
Once you apply for graduation, the Registrar’s graduation staff evaluates your record and determines whether you have met the degree requirements. Letters are mailed to ONLY those students who have deficiencies; you will be informed in writing of what is missing towards your degree. It is the student’s responsibility to fulfill his/her specific degree requirements upon filing for graduation, and that the requirements are met at that time. If the requirements are NOT met at the end of the filing semester, youMUST reapply for graduation to be re-evaluated. Original applications are not automatically reactivated for future consideration. All degrees awarded will be posted on your academic transcript, beginning the last day of business of the months of June (for Spring degrees), August (for Summer degrees), or January (for Fall degrees). Degrees are NOT awarded at the end of the Winter module.
Q:When do I have to apply for graduation?
You should apply for graduation once you have registered for your last course during your last semester of attendance. You will receive a receipt once you have dropped off your completed application. Be sure to keep your receipt; it is your proof of submission in the event you are requested to provide written documentation of applying for graduation. The application generates the evaluation of your record for a degree. If an application is not filed, an evaluation is not performed. Without an official evaluation by the Registrar’s graduation staff, you cannot graduate. 

--Participation in the Commencement Ceremony does NOT signify graduation. It is merely attending the ceremony. 

Q: Is there a deadline to apply for graduation?

Each of the three filing periods (for an August, January, or June degree) has a deadline. Consult the College’s academic calendar. Also, a reminder to file for graduation is periodically placed in rotation on the monitors located throughout the campus, for each of the filing periods. It is posted well-before the filing period opens and is removed once the deadline has passed. There are no extensions to the filing period and ineligible applications are NOT automatically reactivated for the next filing period. The application will be available online during filing periods only at

Click on the area which reads Registration and you will be taken to the Registrar’s Office home page. You will find a link regarding graduation there. 

Q: I have 60 credits – Am I ready to graduate?
Most students are close to graduation when they reach the 60 credit mark. You can check your status online by using DegreeWorks or by meeting with your Academic Advisement Professional.  

Q: Can I get a letter verifying that I graduated?
Once a final evaluation is completed (after final grades are submitted and posted), you will be able to request a letter from the Registrar’s Office confirming your completed degree status. Certification forms are available in Room A-101 (counter service area). Due to the high volume of requests at peak periods, letters cannot be processed upon demand, and are written in order of receipt. Please allow adequate processing time – possibly a week. 

Q: When will I receive my diploma?
You will be advised by letter approximately six months after your graduation date that your diploma is available for pick-up. You must bring the letter as well as a photo-ID when you come to the Registrar’s Office to pick up your diploma. Diplomas may be mailed if you make a request in writing and add that Kingsborough is not liable should the diploma be lost or damaged in the mail. Be certain to provide your complete and current mailing address in your letter. 

Q: What if I need to change my name on my diploma?
Diplomas are issued with the name on your Kingsborough ID record at the time of graduation, and spelled in the manner you have written on your graduation application. 

Q: How can I order a duplicate diploma?
A replacement diploma costs $15. You must contact the Registrar’s Office in writing to request a replacement. A check or money order should be made payable to the KCC Association. Please allow adequate processing time for a reorder to be placed and received. 

Q: Can I still take a class after I graduate?
If you wish to continue taking courses in the next semester (fall or spring), please file a readmission application in the Registrar’s Office and Transfer application in the Admissions Office indicating your new major. Deadline dates, as well as the printable version of the application, are available on the college’s webpage at

Q: When is Commencement held?
Commencement is held in June at the end of the spring semester. Actual (official) graduates from the previous August and January are invited as well as potential graduates who have filed for June. Contact Student Life (Room C-123) for information concerning the ceremony, invitations, ticketing, etc.

Please Note: Attendance at commencement does NOT signify graduation. Your academic records will be reviewed for a final evaluation once final grades are posted, and a final determination of your status will be made at that time. 

Q: Can I have my transcript held until the degree is posted?
Transcript orders can be held until your degree is posted, upon your request. Please be sure to specify that in your instructions when you request a transcript. All financial and academic obligations must be met and must be cleared before a transcript can be issued.