Skip Navigation Links
Skip Navigation Links
Continuing ED
Skip Navigation LinksKCC Home > Other Programs > Current Students > Office of Military and Veteran Affairs > FAQ


Peaches L. Diamond, JD, MA
Certifying Officer
Veterans Program Specialist

Veterans Affairs Student Office, (V.A.S.O.) 
Room D-205

Telephone: 718-368-5472
Fax: 718-368-4923

Hours of Operation:
Monday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Tuesday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Wed 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM
Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who do I see on campus about resources for students who are veterans?
Kingsborough Community College has several key people on campus to address the needs of veterans. The V.A.S.O. office is available to answer questions and direct you to the best solutions. The V.A.S.O. office is located D-205 and the phone is (718)368-5472. For information regarding your GI Bill status or payments, you should contact our certifying official, Ms. Peaches L. Diamond in the Veterans Affairs Student Office, (V.A.S.O.) in room D-205.

2. How do I know if I am eligible for U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) educational assistance?
You may be eligible for VA educational assistance if:

A) You are on, or were on active duty for at least two years, and received any honorably characterized discharge;
B) You have a six-year obligation in the Selected Reserves, and remain in good standing with your reserve unit; or
C) You are a spouse or child of a veteran who died or was totally disabled while in military service. Ms. Peaches L. Diamond, our certifying official, can help you determine eligibility

3. How do I start my VA educational assistance benefits at the college?
Read: or make an appointment with our certifying official, Peaches L. Diamond at (718) 368-5472 to discuss VA benefits.

4. Do I have to reapply for benefits if I am transferring into CUNY?
No, you do not have to reapply. Once you have applied and have received benefits at another institution, you need only complete a form to change your place of training and a brief personal data form. This can be done through the registrar’s office.

5. How long will it take to receive my benefits?
First-time applicants should expect to have to wait at least 6 to 8 weeks from the time the enrollment certification is sent before payment is received.

6. Are VA educational benefits taxable?
No, veteran's benefits, paid under any law and administered by the VA should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

7. What happens if I am activated during the semester?
If you are activated during a semester, you have a number of options open to you depending upon the length of the deployment. You should first discuss this situation with your advisor and instructors to help you decide upon a course of action. The options available to you would range from special arrangements for make-up work, to an incomplete grade, to withdrawal from a course or semester. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs would pay you educational assistance benefits up to the date you withdraw or resign from a course or semester.

8. In addition to college work-study, are there any work-study programs designed to assist veterans?
Students may be eligible for Veteran's Work-Study benefits. In order to be eligible, students must be receiving full-time veterans’ benefits. Such students can work up to 750 hours per year at a rate of at least the federal minimum wage. Check with your Certifiying Officer/Veterans Program Specialist, Peaches L. Diamond in room D-205 or call 718-368-5472.


kccFacebook KCCTwitter
Privacy Statement | GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT | Disclaimer | LIAISONS | Text Only | Make This Website Talk  

Kingsborough Community College
2001 Oriental Boulevard, Brooklyn, NY 11235-2398 | (718)-368-5000
Kingsborough is CUNY