|| Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
New York State Financial Aid Program for full-time study
Program Eligibility Requirements
- You must have been a New York State resident for at least one year prior to the date of your registration; if you are not sure, check with the Registrar’s Office, Room A-101.
- All Students must register for 12 or more credits in their major concentration for both sessions 1 & 2 by the end of add/drop period of session 1.
- You must be enrolled in a degree program (i.e. “degree student,” “matriculated” status); if you are not sure what this is, check with the Registrar’s Office, Room A-101.
- You must enroll in a minimum of 12 credits/contact hours within your curriculum (major). If, during your final semester, immediately preceding graduation, you take a minimum of 12 credits with at least a minimum of three credits in your major, then you will have satisfied the “12 credits within your major” requirement.
- You must have a minimum of three (3) academic (college degree) credits as part of your full-time credit/equated credit load if you are a first-term recipient; then six (6) academic credits each term thereafter.
- You must be a US citizen or qualifying non-citizen.
- You must have a New York State net taxable income of less than $80,000 for dependent students, less than $10,000 for independent students
- You must not be in default of a State or federal student Loan
- You must maintain an approved rate of progress. (See chart below.)
- You must maintain a minimum, approved grade point index. (See chart below.)
- You may not receive more than six (6) payments while enrolled in a two-year program, EXCEPT if you are enrolled as a College Discovery or Bilingual (Special Programs) student.
- You must demonstrate financial need by submitting an application once EVERY AWARD YEAR while you are enrolled at Kingsborough Community College. If you demonstrate sufficient need, you must also meet the academic performance criteria below.
Other TAP Online Resources/Help
To obtain a quick estimate of your TAP award, click here: TAP award estimate
To check on your TAP application and to find out about other state-sponsored scholarship resources, contact The New York State Higher Education Services Corporation.
New York State Financial Aid Programs for Part-Time study:
AID FOR PART-TIME STUDY (APTS)
To be considered for an APTS award, YOU MUST be:
- enrolled as a part-time student (6 – 11.5 credits),
- registered for courses in your major/curriculum,
- a citizen OR qualifying non-citizen,
- a resident of New York State,
- NOT in default of a Federal Student Loan,
- in need, i.e. have a New York State net taxable income of $50,550 or less, for dependent students, or $34, 250 or less, for independent students,
- maintaining good academic standing,
- achieving a “C” average after the second academic year.
The Effect of Program Changes, Withdrawals on TAP Awards
If you withdraw from the College during the refund period or drop below 12 credits, you may utilize a portion of your TAP award against your tuition liability (tuition balance). If you withdraw after the refund period, the full-semester’s TAP award will be used. In either case, you will have used up one full-semester’s worth of TAP eligibility (at a two or four year-college).
If you make any program changes, make sure to maintain the required number of academic credits in your major in order to qualify for your TAP award
If you withdraw from all courses in a given semester and opt to use TAP to pay your tuition, you will lose TAP eligibility for the subsequent (next) term of attendance, except if you have applied for -- and received -- a one-time waiver. (See TAP Wavier.)