Skip Navigation Links
Skip Navigation Links
Continuing ED
Skip Navigation LinksKCC Home > Career > Transfer > Transfer Out

Office Hours
Monday and Friday
9:30am - 5pm
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday  
9:30am - 8:30pm
Room C 102

**Evening hours are only available
when class is in session

Spring 2015 Events
Follow Us On
Stay current with up to the
minute news on all our
services and programs

Transfer Out

Transferring out of KCC Frequently Asked Questions:

  1. What is the difference between CUNY, SUNY and private colleges?

    CUNY (City University of New York) is a publicly funded institution whose colleges are located within the five boroughs of New York City. CUNY has 23 campuses and institutions offering hundreds of undergraduate programs that span a broad range of subject areas. Visit the CUNY website at for more information on specific schools and academic programs. You can link to the individual college website from the central CUNY website.

    SUNY (State University of New York) is a publicly funded institution whose colleges are mostly located on Long Island and upstate New York. There are only two colleges located within the five boroughs of New York City (FIT and Downstate Medical Center). SUNY has 64 campuses and offers a wide range of campus sizes and academic programs. Visit the SUNY website at

    Private colleges are not funded by the City or State, but rather by private funding sources. There are many kinds of private colleges, and students should think about whether they want a big or small campus, preferred location, and major of interest, among other concerns, when considering a transfer to a private college.

  2. What are the requirements for transferring to a CUNY senior college?

    You must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 and have passed the CUNY reading, writing and math entrance exams. It is recommended that you complete your Associates degree before transferring. Certain programs and colleges have additional requirements, including higher GPA requirements. Please check with the college of your choice for more specific information.

  3. What are the requirements for transferring to a SUNY or private college?

    Requirements for transferring to a SUNY or private college vary. A student graduating with a 2.0 GPA will be eligible to transfer to many colleges; however, some colleges with selective programs may require a 2.5 GPA or higher. Students need to research the transfer admissions requirements for each college they are considering. College catalogues, website's and transfer admissions counselors at the senior college level are all good resources to start with.

  4. What are the costs of attendance at CUNY, SUNY, and private colleges?

    Tuition at CUNY and SUNY colleges varies depending upon the program of study, full-time or part-time status, residency and . Specific tuition costs and fees are outlined at each colleges website, as well as additional expenses associated with room and board.

    Private college tuition is typically more expensive ranging on average from $10,000 to $20,000 per semester. Despite the high tuition costs, private colleges offer financial aid and scholarship packages to make it more affordable for students.

    Financial Aid programs are available at CUNY, SUNY and private colleges in order to help students meet the costs associated with college attendance. In addition, students need to explore all scholarship opportunities.

  5. How do I apply to a CUNY or SUNY college?

    For application information, click on Transfer Procedures.

  6. What is the difference between transferring with an Associate's Degree or without an Associate's Degree?

    One of the advantages of transferring with an Associate degree is that CUNY and most SUNY senior colleges will guarantee acceptance of 60 credits and possibly more. Private colleges are also likely to grant more credits to Associate Degree holders. If you transfer before obtaining the associate degree,you are not under any transfer credit guarantee. The senior college will separately evaluate each course taken.

  7. How do I find out which of my credits will transfer to other colleges.

    If you're planning to transfer to a CUNY college you can find out how each of your classes transfer by going to

    If you're planning to transfer to a SUNY or Private college, you can contact the admissions office at the college you want to attend and ask for an unofficial credit evaluation as part of the admissions process.

  8. What are Articulation Agreements?

    An Articulation Agreement is a written partnership that has been established between a 4-year college and Kingsborough that guarantees that specific courses will transfer to a particular college. It's an assurance that if a student completes certain courses at Kingsborough with satisfactory grades, these courses will be applied toward their baccalaureate degree.

  9. What classes should I take at Kingsborough that will fulfill my core requirements at a CUNY college?

    For CUNY colleges - if you plan to receive your A.A or A.S. Degree at Kingsborough, all 60 of your credits will transfer and meet the other college's core requirements. However, each senior college may require one or more additional core class.

    If you will be receiving an A.A.S. degree or are planning to transfer before getting your degree your classes will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis.

    For SUNY and Private colleges - basic Liberal Arts courses taken at Kingsborough are most likely to fulfill core requirements at 4-year SUNY and Private colleges. However, you must contact each college directly for more information.

  10. What colleges are best for my major?

    You can find out which colleges offer your major by looking at the "Majors Index" in the Peterson's 4-year College guide: When deciding which college is best for you, take into consideration the breadth of courses offered at each university along with the student/faculty ratio of your department before making a final decision.

  11. Do "D's" transfer to another college?

    A "D" grade will transfer to a CUNY college only. "D's" usually do not transfer to Private or SUNY colleges, but that is the decision of the accepting college.

  12. Can I transfer to another college for the Spring Semester if I'm taking the winter session at Kingsborough?

    The answer to this question is up to the senior college that you are considering attending. Please be aware that there is approximately a 3-week overlap between the time the Spring Semester at a Senior College begins and the Winter Module at Kingsborough ends. If you're taking winter courses for graduation, you may want to consider other options.

  13. Do I have to send my high school transcripts even though I'm applying as a transfer student?

    It depends. Students who are not receiving their Associate Degree must arrange to have official transcripts sent to the college(s) they are applying to. Students who have received a GED should forward a copy of their scores and diploma. Students who are receiving their Associate Degree may not have to submit their high school transcripts depending on the college they are applying to. Check with the college you are interested in for high school transcript requirements.

  14. Where can I get additional information about transferring to a senior college? - SUNY application and information - Peterson's Educational Center - The financial aid information page - A comprehensive scholarship search


kccFacebook KCCTwitter
Privacy Statement | GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT | Disclaimer | Text Only | Make This Website Talk  

Kingsborough Community College
2001 Oriental Boulevard, Brooklyn, NY 11235-2398 | (718)-368-5000
Kingsborough is CUNY