Thank you for your interest in starting an Internship Program with the Career Development Center at Kingsborough Community College. A well-designed internship program gives students a chance to explore career possibilities and develop skills needed to be successful in the future!
Designing an Internship Program
It is not difficult to develop a program for your organization. Internships can be paid or for credit. Paid internships do not require paperwork. For-credit internships require minimal paperwork. Students are responsible for completing the paperwork with you and their on-campus Supervisor.
Ask yourself the following questions to determine your qualifications, as an employer, for offering an internship:
• Is the work appropriate and meaningful for a college student?
• Will you offer sufficient learning opportunities?
• Are the required skills and responsibilities challenging?
• Are qualified supervisors on site and readily available?
• Will you provide appropriate resources to do the job?
Additionally, the following criteria define the difference between interns and employees. This will help you determine whether an internship program is appropriate for your current needs:
• A student cannot displace a regular employee.
• Student interns are not guaranteed a job at the end of the internship.
• Both employer and student know that monetary compensation during the internship is optional.
• Interns must receive training from the organization.
• Training must be hands-on experience with equipment and processes used in the industry.
• The training must primarily benefit the student, not the company.
• Interns may not be classified as independent contractors because they require ongoing supervision and regular interaction with the employer.
Hiring an Intern
When you are ready to hire an intern, develop a detailed position description. You may then post the position on or send a detailed description of the position to email@example.com.
If you require more information on designing an internship or would like to set up a meeting to discuss other matters, please contact Christine Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay current with up to the minute news on all our services and programs