Skip Navigation Links
Continuing ED
Skip Navigation LinksKCC Home > Access-Ability Services > FAQ


What is Access-Ability Services?

Access-Ability Services (AAS) is the office responsible for determining eligibility and appropriate reasonable accommodations for KCC students with disabilities.


What qualifies as a disability according to the law?

According to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act, an individual with a “disability” is any person:

with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of such person’s major life activities;

who has a record of such impairment;

who is regarded as having such an impairment.

Students with a significant physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity such as walking, learning, and performing manual tasks are eligible for disability services.

KCC is required by Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act and the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended in 2008 (ADAAA) to ensure that every student has equal access to all KCC programs and activities.


What must a student do in order to qualify for accommodations?

Students must provide appropriate documentation regarding their disability to AAS. AAS reviews the documentation, meets with the student, and determines the appropriate accommodations on an individualized basis.


Are all students with disabilities required to register with AAS?

No, students may choose whether or not to register for disability services. However, faculty members do not have to provide accommodations to students not registered with AAS.


How does an instructor know if a student is registered with AAS?

AAS will provide each registered student with a letter of Notification of Academic Accommodations. Students are responsible for meeting with instructors to give them the Notification of Academic Accommodations, and to discuss the accommodations. Faculty members must comply with the authorized accommodations in order to keep KCC in compliance with Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

If a student requests accommodations without providing a Notification of Academic Accommodations, instructors should request one before complying with the student request. However, if the disability is obvious and the request is reasonable (e.g. a student who uses a wheelchair or crutches who needs physical access), instructors should provide the accommodation while waiting for official AAS notification.


What kinds of accommodations are requested and/or authorized?

Accommodations include, but are not limited to, extended time on exams, note taking, scribes, readers, use of tape recorders, real-time captioning, sign language interpreters, and adaptive technology. Authorized accommodations vary by student and may vary from course to course.

It is the students’ responsibility to know what their accommodations are, to know the procedures for receiving the accommodations, and to communicate this information to the instructors. It is the faculty members’ responsibility to comply with any requests for authorized accommodations.


What is the policy on confidentiality?

All disability information must be treated as confidential.  


What if I have disability-related concerns?

Contact Stella Woodroffe PhD LMHC, Director, Access-Ability Services at (718) 368-5175.




kccFacebook KCCTwitter
Privacy Statement | GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT | Disclaimer | Text Only | Make This Website Talk

Kingsborough Community College
2001 Oriental Boulevard, Brooklyn, NY 11235-2398 | (718)-368-5000
Kingsborough is CUNY